The challenge was to simplify and improve the user's journey from the opening of the app to the final purchase.
Some issues are related to the search feature, long scrolling to find product categories, perceived affordances, superfluous assets (repeated icons) and lack of launch screen.
LUSH main target audience is working-woman aged between 18-45 years with a healthy lifestyle outlook. The company does not test its products on animals, they are made with fair-trade ingredients, all are vegan or vegetarian products. Consumers are concern with social justice, environmental sustainability and animal rights.
I executed Usability Testing to define tasks, establish objectives and evaluate the app. To ensure the test was realistic, I opted to use a real build of the application. However, this revealed how functionally unstable the app was. Between the time spent recovering from bugs and app crashes I was able to find usability issues related to perceived affordances, layout, search and a long process to place an order.
One of the requirements was to refine the search navigation interface. During the usability testing, I’ve discovered that searching for a specific product it resulted in many articles and a long scroll down. A ton of content with no way to navigate or filters frustrated the users, that couldn’t find the product they have in mind.
After this, with the requirements in mind, I did some sketches by hand exploring different navigation patterns and how to improve the user journey from the app opening to the sale transaction. Then I designed the final UI using Sketch software.
Some of the constraints were access to user's metrics and brand guidelines.
The implemented improvements were from the creation of a splash screen to the simplification of the purchase process.
- A new search feature that is customizable, only a few taps to drill down into search results by categories, product filters (like price or bestsellers), and sort the results to their heart’s content. It’s a visual search that adopts merchandising logic into their ranking.
- The search icon is included in all the screens.
- Elimination of unnecessary icons and features (like “kitchen” and “discover “sections)
- In only one screen users can see all the product categories.
- Reduced 3 steps in the checkout and added “guest checkout” option to minimize purchase time. Added “Pay securely” button.
- Improved final UI, modification of grids, layout and icons.